Can I use a Time Capsule as a backup and connect an external drive to it...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Star Nuts, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

that will be used as an iTunes database? I'm debating a laptop but I don't want to have to have it connected whenever I need to backup or if I want to watch something on my Apple TV.

My setup right now is my iMac connected to two separate external hard drives one as a backup and the other for iTunes. If I did go the laptop route with Time Capsule, will I get the EXACT same results, just wireless? And what happens if take my laptop to work one day and I leave my wifi while backing up unintentially? Could that cause problems?

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Same result, yes. The backup will be aborted, the backup files shouldn't be more damaged than that a simple checkup during the next backup will fix it. But make a habit out of checking if Time Machine is running, because I've read about people who have had corrupted backups due to the connection going down.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Well, the exact same results but possibly slower, since wifi is gonna be slower than a USB connection. But whether that makes a difference depends on what you're backing up and otherwise moving around.

And you could set up your laptop to backup to your TM backup, wherever it is, manually. I just make a habit of doing that when I hook it up to recharge over night. If you use some of the versioning built into some applications you maintain at least some backups while you're working. There might be a way to enable local TM backups with TM on the laptop while it's attached to your LAN but without writing to the TC, but I’m not sure.