Can I use a US iphone in the UK on o2?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Anderzander, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Anderzander macrumors member

As the title says.... Can I use a US bought iphone in the UK on o2?

I'm not sure how they are activated? but would I be able to take the phone to O2 and arrange to start their contract and get the phone activated?

2. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

Depends what firmware it has, if it is 1.1.1 then you can unlock it and use it on any network, if its 1.1.2 dont think you will be able to use it.

3. Anderzander thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply

I wasn't sure if UK itunes would accept a US phone and activate it officially - or would somehow recognise the serial number and its origin and then block it...

4. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I can't find the thread, but you may be able to if you can find a defunct PAYG o2 card.

I recall someone plugging in their iPhone to iTunes and it started the o2 activation thing. Have a search, ill keep looking and if i find it ill report back.

Huzzah! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=386364

5. Anderzander thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

Seems the answer is maybe then! If I fit an O2 sim is should offer the activation - and hopefully complete it....

still a gamble though

6. firstrest macrumors member

Anderz, you can't. I tried it. Swapped out the AT&T sim for my O2 one. On hooking up to iTunes you just get a 'wrong sim' message.

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If it's on firmware 1.1.1 or before then you can activate and unlock a US phone in the UK without the ATT SIM.

8. Anderzander thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone

I'll wait and see what happens with the market. I've an itouch that i've put mail on etc - but for a phone I want it to be legitimate.