Can I use a usb drive with AirPort Extreme for time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soundhound, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I thought I heard that using USB drive for Time Machine over wifi will work with the new, tall Airport Extreme, but not with the previous model, which I have. Anybody know for sure?

thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is correct. It is supported with the new tower and not supported with the older pancake models.

Give this a read.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I suffered backup errors with both 1st and 2nd gen Extremes, using simple USB external disk.
    But I have to say, that the 4th gen Extreme has been rock solid since the day I installed it. That's since last September.
    But as was previously pointed out, this configuration is not supported by Apple. So you are on your own.

4. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

I run a 2TB disk in a generic USB enclosure hooked up to a 2nd gen pancake Airport Extreme Base Station for about two years now and have had zero problems (three computers back up using wifi, two use wired Ethernet). All my computers have this setting:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
    enabled, but I did a clean install of Mavericks on one of them and it picked up the network drive right away, so I believe it is not needed anymore (but may be wrong).