Can I use a windows install disk that came with my vaio for parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CoachZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. CoachZ macrumors newbie

I'm very new to macs and I've been able to purchase most of the applications I need to use in mac formats (quickbooks, office etc.) but there are some things that still need windows like all of the software for my Garmin units as well as some marine navigation software. My question is rather then having to purchase more software, and give more money to MS, can I use a copy of windows that came with one of my old dell or vaio laptops to run windows on parallels so I can run those few programs i need?
    Thanks in advance for the help, this forum has been a life saver trying to figure out the new os!

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Theoretically it will work. I've used a similar thing before, though results and legality can not be guaranteed.

4. soms macrumors 6502

soms

If it's an actual Windows disc, then yes.
    If it's an "install" disc, ie it uses the backup on the harddrive, then no; it's mated with the laptop.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

The windows disks from Dell are always restore disks, not full OS disks. They will only work on the Dell system and are tied to that system. Putting them on another machine is against the license agreement.