Can I Use A Wireless Router with Both Windows and Mac Computers?

poofusnoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I'm A Michigander
So yet again, I think I'm asking a stupid question.
I have an iMac.
And I have a PC using XP.
I only have one modem for my internet, so I wanted to get a Linksys Wireless Router, and either get an Airport card or get an Apple compatiple USB internet card thing. If anyone has set up a wireless router, is it easy, and will this work with an Apple computer? or with an Apple and Windows Computer?

Thanks.

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
The wireless signal and the DHCP function, NAT etc are all like dial tone for a phone. Your Mac, PC, Xbox, Wii whatever will connect just fine.

poofusnoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I'm A Michigander
Sweet.
Ok..but now I have another question.
I have Charter (cable) high speed internet.
I was reading that you may have to do something with the MAC address of you modem. Like clone it or something...or else the internet wont work.
Im thinking that i have to do this since awhile ago i tried to use a different modem and when i tried to connect to the interent it did some kind of modem swap thing.

Does anyone know if i will have to clone my MAC address?
And if i have to...how do i do this?

THANKS!

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Why do you think that?

I was reading that you may have to do something with the MAC address of you modem. Like clone it or something...or else the internet wont work.
Im thinking that i have to do this since awhile ago i tried to use a different modem and when i tried to connect to the interent it did some kind of modem swap thing.
What are you talking about? Call your ISP, find out if they do MAC verification.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
I think you'll find that your router and computer will automatically do most of the dirty work for you.

Don't forget to put a WPA-PSK security key on there!