Can I use Airplay to replace 3.5mm on the Macs?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by scaramoosh, Jan 20, 2016.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

I want to go fully wireless and the last of the cables are from my 2.1 speakers. I've seen Airplay speakers and I'm just wondering if you can Airplay 24/7 from a Mac or if it's like Chromecast or something where you can only pump certain content out that support it.

Thanx

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

You can just set the audio output of your Mac to AirPlay in System Preferences and then all sound will be played to your AirPlay speakers.

3. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanx.

Also can I stream it to two Airplay Speakers at the same time? I've bought two Naim Mu-So's, one for upstairs and one for downstairs and I'm wondering if they can fill the house or if I have to manually switch?

4. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

For music through iTunes at least, you can select as many AirPlay devices that you want to simultaneously play through. Not sure if that applies to other apps though.

5. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

For non-iTunes apps you can get Airfoil. It will send audio from any app to any or all AirPlay devices. It does not support sending two separate songs to two different devices simultaneously, though.

Airfoil comes with "AirPlay Speakers" that will turn the Mac into an AirPlay receiver, as well.