Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Is the Mac in my sig considered "Airport Extreme Ready"? I did not purchase it with an Airport Extreme card but now I am thinking about going wireless with an Airport Express. Can I just go into my Apple Store and buy one the Airport Extreme cards or will my G5 need something installed first?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The PowerMac G5 is indeed AirPort Extreme "ready" all you need to do is locate the little bit of external antenna that should've come with the system for it and buy an AirPort Extreme card.

Well also, you need to install it properly. (Not difficult at all.)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Bear said:
The PowerMac G5 is indeed AirPort Extreme "ready" all you need to do is locate the little bit of external antenna that should've come with the system for it and buy an AirPort Extreme card.

Well also, you need to install it properly. (Not difficult at all.)

That's what that antenna was? I thought it was a bluetooth antenna. I hope I can find the thing.

Does the card install somewhere on the motherboard?

God forbid I open my manual. ;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
patseguin said:
That's what that antenna was? I thought it was a bluetooth antenna. I hope I can find the thing.
You only get a Bluetooth antenna with the PowerMac G5 if you order it with a built-in bluetooth moduel.

Does the card install somewhere on the motherboard?
Probably, but you need to follow the directions to get the antenna hooked up properly anyway, so just follow them from the start. And remember to shutdown your Mac before you open it up.

God forbid I open my manual. ;)
It sound like you need a more permissive diety. :cool:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
On the G5 dual 2.0 the AE card installs in a slot immediately inside the system on the left when the side cover is removed. It's very easy - there's a frame/guide the card slots into and is then pressed (firmly) onto the connector and the airport antenna lead pressed firmly into the connector on the back edge of the AE card - it all takes about 30 seconds.

The only thing to be cautious of is that the card is firmly seated and the antenna firmly attached.

The T-shaped antenna must, of course, be attached to the connector on the back of the G5, and if the G5 itself is between the antenna and the WAP, it will cause the signal level to drop. My WAP is located behind the G5 so the signal is good - if I turn it round, it drops from 4 bars to 2!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
za9ra22 said:
On the G5 dual 2.0 the AE card installs in a slot immediately inside the system on the left when the side cover is removed. It's very easy - there's a frame/guide the card slots into and is then pressed (firmly) onto the connector and the airport antenna lead pressed firmly into the connector on the back edge of the AE card - it all takes about 30 seconds.

The only thing to be cautious of is that the card is firmly seated and the antenna firmly attached.

The T-shaped antenna must, of course, be attached to the connector on the back of the G5, and if the G5 itself is between the antenna and the WAP, it will cause the signal level to drop. My WAP is located behind the G5 so the signal is good - if I turn it round, it drops from 4 bars to 2!

Thanks. I do have that T-shaped antenna. Does the airport antenna lead that you refer to already exist inside the G5 or does it come with the airport card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.