Can I use Airtunes without an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ss957916, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

My third Airport Express in less than four years has just given up the ghost which has made me realise that they're very cheap, badly made pieces of crap. I'm currently borrowing my parents' Linksys Wifi router which has much greater range (covering my entire house - suddenly I can check emails on the loo!) and has also confirmed that all the internet problems I was having was in fact the APE and not my MacBook Pro or Snow Leopard.

So my question is: can I send my iTunes music from my MBP to my hi-fi over my wireless network without the need for an Airport Express?

2. Palleraa macrumors member

You need some device that can make wifi signals -> audio signals. This is what the express can do. However airfoil have a product called Airfoil Speakers which will let any machine show up in Airfoil as a speaker. I have my stereo connected to my Mac Mini Mediacenter and stream my music to that.

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

If you have a mac currently under Applecare, your AE is covered.

4. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't. My friend does though...

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Really? Wish I knew this before I threw my dead one out.

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many are covered, so if your friend needs the service later...

Worth looking in to, though.

I've actually been looking for a dead Express on eBay lately, and the non-working ones go for around $45-50, ever since David Pogue posted an article about peripherals being covered.