Can I use an Airport Express as the main audio out?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brianp, Jul 27, 2008.

1. brianp macrumors newbie

I want to do this so I can have sounds from safari (youtube etc), waveburner, logic, quick time player and vlc/dvd player being broadcast through Airtunes.

I presume that the easiest way to do this is to set the Airport Express as the main audio out under sound in system preferences, but as I have not yet bought one, has anyone else had experience of this?

Also, I use a power amp to drive my speakers, relying on the main volume control on my macbook pro. Is it possible to use this to control the volume through airport?

I'm asking because when I use a motu 8 channel firewire audio interface when recording, the master volume on the macbook pro has no effect.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Just seen that the airport express has a delay, so its no good for me. As another solution, is it possible to plug a usb hub into it, in order to connect a printer and usb audio interface, and then use this as the main audio out?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The USB is printer only.

3. paisios macrumors member

This is something I've been wondering about as well. I would like to know if there is a way to stream audio from a website through Airport Express onto my speakers around the house.

Say there's a baseball team that you like outside of town and you can stream their play-by-play on a webpage. Is there a way to play that through Airport express?

Setting it as the main audio output would work for that too, I suppose. Is this an option?

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I have an Airport Express, Airtunes is cool and all, but you can't change it in System prefs to have your external speakers as your main audio out.

However, there is a third party app that does this.

Airfoil should do the trick, although people are saying that sound lags slightly on Airport Express when you watch movies. Read a couple more reviews. Hope this helps.