Can I use an ATT prepaid SIM to activate my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swoosh0217, Jul 12, 2010.

1. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I am with Tmobile and still waiting for the unlock to come out. I really can't do anything right now but my idea was to buy a "Pay as you go" prepaid sim card to activate my iPhone 4. I just want to see what the interface is like instead of looking at the connect to iTunes logo. Is that possible?

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

A prepaid AT&T sim card will activate a 3G, 3GS and an iPhone 4.

3. JLemm macrumors regular

4. swoosh0217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I bought a sim cutter so there's no issue with that. I just want to be able to activate my phone using a pre-paid sim card.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Of course you can, after cutting it down.

You can also call AT&T and tell them you lost your original GoPhone sim and you have a new sim card that you wish to activate. Use the one that comes with the iPhone 4 and AT&T will simply ask you for the # on the sim.

6. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Just because AT&T says you can't doesn't mean you cant. The simply don't want people using prepaid plans on these iPhones.

It will work 100%.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

I'm hesitant to call AT&T and give them the iPhone SIM number to transfer my prepaid account to.. They can't tell from the number it's a micro SIM?

10. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Good question. I'd like to know that as well. Can AT&T know just from the SIM code that it's a microsim (I mean will the customer reap immediately know without having to look into the matter) and will they care?

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

AT&T doesn't care what phone you use with it's prepaid service.

Last summer, I was using a GoPhone sim in my 3G iPhone. I was tired of the data plans they offered and asked if there was any way I could still get the unlimited plan that was no longer offered for prepaid. i told the CSR that I was using the sim with my iPhone. She didn't say a word about that but told me it was impossible to offer me the unlimited GoPhone data plan since they no longer offered it.

A few weeks later, I got a SMS asking me to take a survey about my call to CS. When asked why I called CS, I said that I was using my GoPhone sim in my iPhone and that I wanted to have the GoPhone unlimited data plan. I hung up after the survey.

A few weeks later, September 25, 2009 to be exact, I got an SMS on my iPhone that told me I could get the unlimited data for $19.99 and to call 611 to get it added. I called and got it added on. Obviously there was a change made on my account that now allowed the CSR to add the data plan that was no longer offered to my account. I used it with that iPhone until about three months ago when I sold the sim card. I sold it because Apple finally allowed me to add another line to my post paid account.

They really don't care what phone you use the sim in.

12. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

When I first moved my prepaid 2G SIM to a 3GS I was having connection problems with my phone so I called AT&T. She asked for my phone number then said I'm using a 3GS not a 2G. She could tell. Then said you're not supposed to have a prepaid 3GS and refused to help me. I hung up and figured the problem out myself.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, some reps are not helpfull at all.
    You just gotta hit the right one I guess.

14. swoosh0217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Wow great idea! Now I'm off to walmart and buy myself a prepaid card and do exactly wat us ad here...

15. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

16. swoosh0217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

So maybe I should just call ATT and ask them that I need a prepaid sim card. I'll tell them initially that I already have an existing sim (which is the micro sim that came with my iphone) and would like to add some minutes. Hmmmmm....

17. yifanlu macrumors member

Who else here actually tried to do this with an iPhone 4 (not 3GS or anything else)? They changed it.

I have an old prepaid SIM that I used to activate my 3GS (no commitment) a few months ago. Worked great. Then I got the iPhone 4 (with contract) and tried the same thing. Cut the SIM, placed it into the phone. No Service, connect to iTunes. I plugged it into the computer, iTunes says "invalid SIM". I put the original SIM in, and iTunes recognized it. So I tried something else (DON'T DO THIS!), I went to https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/ and choose GoPhone and typed the new microSim number. However, it just activated it as usual (no prepaid), so now I'm on AT&T.

So basically, if you didn't go no-commitment, you can't activate iPhone 4 with prepaid. Either that, or they just don't allow prepaid activations on iPhone 4 anymore.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not true.
    Unless you changed the IMEI number on your phone, AT&T knows exactly what make and model phone a SIM card is installed in.

19. Hellafornia macrumors newbie

I'm doing an upgrade swap, does the iPhone 4 need a sim in it to be activated? If not can I call AT&T and have them transfer my pay as you go number to the microsim?

20. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Don't you pay full retail for an iPhone if you do not use an AT&T contract, pay as you go is like just buying the phone with now contract isn't it?

Can't we just get an Unlocked iPhone 4 from the UK or Canada and then use it in the USA.

I have a friend who can get me one in the UK, just not sure what I would pay?

21. DarthBeldar macrumors newbie

Unlocked Iphone 4

I bought my Iphone 4 unlocked in Canada can confirm it works in USA on AT&T. Have old blue AT&T sim card I had to cut down. Hardest part was getting 3G to work, finally found correct APN settings:
    APN: proxy
    USERNAME: leave empty
    PASSWORD: leave empty

22. Hellafornia macrumors newbie

can you have att reapers transfer pay as you go numbers to a blank microsim? thats what i wanna find out. does anybody know? :confused: