Can I use an iPad charger (12W) with Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by indieshack, May 6, 2015.

1. indieshack macrumors member

2. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

I am. Not sure if its safe or not though lol.

3. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

There were actually a few threads on this topic.

The iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches all have a consistent, throttled draw. It doesn't matter if you put them on a more robust charger - they won't charge any quicker.

4. indieshack thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I'm less concerned about getting a speedy charge, but more concerned about burning out the Watch with the higher potential wattage. Most all my chargers are now 12W since I have iPads and iPhone 6's.

Thanks again.

5. firewood macrumors 604

All the Apple chargers are regulated and put out no more than 5 Volts on USB, no matter what the max Amperage rating.

6. indieshack thread starter macrumors member

FYI, started to use a 12W iPad charger block last night attached to a standard (metal) Watch cable and the round cable end started getting hot. I can't think this is a good thing - haven't noticed this with the supplied power block and I stopped using the 12W block immediately.

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

That doesn't appear to be the case, at least with the iPhone 6. I haven't done any proper testing, but it does seem to charge faster with the iPad charger, and this is born out by things like this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-charging/

I don't know whether this would carry over to the watch in terms of charging faster, but I've been using an iPad charger from the very beginning with no ill effects.

8. indieshack thread starter macrumors member

Correct, the iPhone 6 is the first iPhone to be able to utilize faster charging with a 12W block. For this reason, I have a bunch of iPad charging blocks all over the house for my son's iPad, wife's 6plus and my iPhone 6. I don't want to charge my Apple Watch faster, I just want to be able to use one of my many iPad blocks.

9. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

The iPhone 6 /6+ will also have a consistent draw - that isn't met by a 1A charger, so they charge faster on a more robust charger.

The Apple watch has a very small battery. Its draw will likely be well below the pre 6 iPhones. It most certainly won't charge faster on a 12w charger.

10. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

It's been discussed many times and Apple has said you can use either charger for any device. The 12W is even on the AW accessories page.

Since they are the same price now, I use the 12W one for everthing.

11. awad macrumors member

I had the same thing happen to me. The 12W made the charger get extremely warm.

12. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Is your watch the SS? Mine gets 'hot' (not burning) when on either the 5W or 12W. I did find the time to fully charged 'lower' on the 12W. I will prob continue to use this charger since it is easier to just take one charger for all my devices.

13. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

We discussed the possibility of lower charge times on the 12w chargers. Consensus was this is actually a placebo effect. There was no quantifiable date to support faster charging. And, in the case of iPhones, you can look at the sustained rates they support to prove that that don't charge any faster on these chargers (pre-iPhone 6 of course - they have a larger draw).

The Watch should charge no quicker on 5w or 12w. It should throttle to it's measured sustained rate. This will be well within the 1A chargers.

That isn't to say it isn't safe to charge all of your devices on the 12w chargers - that should be fine. People just shouldn't expect them to charge faster, as they're throttled.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Each night I charge my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Watch and Moto Hint BT earpiece via an Anker 6-port 60 watt device charger. Fast charging on all ports and no unusual heat from the watch (all inductive charging creates some warmth, but no abnormal heat thus far).