Can I use an SSD from...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Killerbob, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I need to replace the HDD in a MacBook Pro (late-2011), and I want to replace it with an SDD. However, the user has a 750GB HDD and needs space. Hence I thought about getting her a Transcend StoreJet 500, take out the SSD and replace the HDD with it, put the HDD in the Thunderbolt caddy and use that as an external Thunderbolt storage.

Is that possible? I know it will physically fit, but will I have any challengers doing this swap?

Another option is to get the MacSales DIY kit, and replace the MacBook Pro CD/DVD with an Data Doubler Kit + 1TB OWC 6G SSD.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Why not just buy a 1TB SSD?
    Seems cheaper and easier than what you're planning and if that's still not big enough you can get a WD 2TB external for around $75. That's still cheaper.

3. treekram, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

treekram macrumors 6502a

Oops, I think I misunderstood what the OP is trying to do so if you read my previous response, forget it.

Are you thinking of removing the SSD from the StoreJet? Are you sure this can be done? It looks like for some of the other Transcend products you can exchange the drives. The dimensions of the 500 vs. these other products doesn't look like it can be done. It would also be quite a bit cheaper to buy a regular SSD and a USB3 enclosure for the HDD.

(Note: for the Thunderbolt portable external drive vendors, you get a more compact drive if you strip the external SATA enclosure and just use the circuit board in the external drive. However, the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt drives use standard SATA drives from what I've read.)

4. KimUsername macrumors member

I would go with option B. Replace HD with a 1TB SSD and put the old drive in the Data Doubler Kit and use it to replace the Optical drive.

I have an early 2011 macbook pro, and I replaced my HD with a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO drive and replaced the optical drive with my old HD in a data doubler. It is working very good, and is extremely fast.

Also when setting up your SSD you may want to consider cloning your hard drive to the SSD. You can connect it externally with either an external USB case or a USB to SATA cable. If you use either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper you can make a clone of you HD and try booting from it to test it before replacing the HD.

Kim