Can I use any smartphone as hotspot for my ipad2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by interinfo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. interinfo macrumors regular

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

3. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If the smartphone has an hotspot feature, yes.
    You can't connect via bluetooth (for example some older BBs).

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

6. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

Most smartphones can do that ?

7. seajay96 macrumors 6502

it also depends on your carrier and your data plan....

8. Ryno76 macrumors member

yup you can! all depends on the plan you get and who your carrier is. My GF has T-Mobile and there was no extra charge to use the phone as a hotspot. Just uses up your data, but very handy if you just have a wifi iPad, like we do.

9. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

Most operating systems on smartphones have the software to act as a hotspot regardless of the carrier ?

10. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

You can bluetooth tether an iphone to an ipad. I don't see why you couldn't with another one. I will try my nexus later and post back.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

With an iPhone it works. With other smartphones (I have tested two BBs and a Samsung) it doesn't.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on the smartphone. If this is dealbreaker for you then make sure before you buy. It's like buying anything else: buy based on your needs/wants/preferences/budget/etc. Don't just assume.

Nope. Consider that countless WiFi access points don't run IOS and work just fine with IOS devices (as well as other clients running different OS's). WiFi is WiFi.

13. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Really? doesn't hotspotting just create a WiFi zone? Surely it doesn't matter which device makes it?

14. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

BT does not. You connect like you do a headset.

15. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Most smartphones have the ability to tether by default, but some carriers have it as a locked feature. You'll have to the take the tethering plan to be able to turn on tethering on your phone.

Like AT&T iPhones require that you get a tethering plan, the option to tether is already on your phone, you just can't do it unless you have the plan from AT&T.

One last resort type of option you can do is jailbreak it and download a tethering app. But that's only if you know what to do and what you're getting yourself into. If not, don't. Just get a plan. :)

I tether my iPad via my jail broken iPhone. :D

16. Supacali macrumors newbie

There's a free app on Android that does not require you to root called Foxfi so if your smartphone is android based, this app works on making it a hotspot no matter if your carrier locks the hotspot feature or not.

17. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Do you have a Cell Phone and looking to upgrade to a Smart Phone so you can use it as a Hotspot?

I'm asking because if you don't have one, sell the iPad 2 and upgrade to iPad 3 with LTE.

Using the Samsung Galaxy S3, I got for my mother cost me $75 after Costco rebate and on a three year contract the Voice & 6GB Data is $70 a month. The 6GB was just a promotion, usually it's only 500MB-2GB.

Rogers & other Canadian Carriers iPad/Tablet plans are only $30 for 2GB for Data and it's month-to-month, you can also get 500MB for $15.

This is a cheaper alternative, seriously who uses Voice to make calls. Everyone is (on Data) using iMessages, Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail & Forums.

18. MacMane macrumors regular

I have a tmobile Samsung galaxy S 4g, and I use my hotspot/wireless tethering for my new iPad all the time. I was staying in a hotel for a week that had horrible wifi, had both my iPad 2 and my new iPad connected to my hotspot at the same damn time, worked flawlessly.

19. thekb macrumors 6502a

+10 for Foxfi. Works like a champ.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It will not work. The Bluetooth tether runs specific iOS software on both devices. It's does not implement a standard bluetooth protocol.

21. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Why tether with bluetooth? That seems like a major waist of power and speed!

I would get a iphone with t-moble for hotspoot. best bet you can get.