Can I use app store software from 2 different IDs on one computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amz1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. amz1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm getting a new computer at work and want to be able to install software on it that I've already purchased through the App Store using my personal ID for my home computer (obviously only for those applications that permit use on a home and a work computer). However my employer (a college) already has its own procedures for purchasing software. The purchasing officer has asked me about what software I need on the new computer and I believe that they will want to use a college ID to purchase the software (whether through the app store or as separate downloads). My question is: if the IT department installs software on my machine, using their own App Store ID, can I then log into the App Store with my own personal ID and install the various titles that I've personally purchased previously, without disrupting the operation of the software titles that the college IT dept has already installed? In other words, can you have software from multiple apple IDs working at the same time on a single device, as long as that device is authorized for each ID?

My apologies if that was a convoluted explanation and many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

best regards,
    Abe Z.

2. NightStorm macrumors 68000

My wife and I have separate iTunes IDs and are able to install/use programs purchased by each other on our respective Macs. Only issue is that installing updates requires the other person to log into the app store using their account.

3. amz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great - that's just what I wanted to know. Many thanks for the quick response!