Can i use AW to unlock iPhone ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by uw_psp, Nov 2, 2016.

1. uw_psp macrumors newbie

Anybody knows if I can use my AW to unlock my iPhone ? I couldnt find the answer online so I guess it is 'no' ? But even my $10 MI Band can unlock my iPhone so it shudnt be too difficult.

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

With TouchID, you only need to put your finger on the home button to unlock the iPhone. I don't see how it would be faster to unlock it from the watch.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

What would really be smart if the phone and watch could use their NFC stuff to know when they are close to one another. Then, if one is unlocked, the other could be unlocked through proximity rather than user interaction.

5. uw_psp thread starter macrumors newbie

I use TouchID but sometimes it cannot recognize my finger and have to try couple times. But my smart band can unlock my iPhone just by raising my wrist up. Consider you are in the office typing on a keyboard and just want to wake up your iphone display.. i can just quickly tap on the iphone screen with raise my wrist.

6. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I didn't know you could unlock an iPhone with the band (at least without jailbreak). I thought it was possibile only with Android smartphones.
    Anyway the answer is no, at least with current iOS and watchOS versions.
    It would be a nice feature, if Watch is really close iPhone could unlock and ask for pin/fingerprint only for certain operations (like buying something on the app store). The range should be really limited, you don't want someone to unlock the iPhone you left on the table while you are 3 feet away looking elsewhere.

7. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

How can your $10 MI Band unlock iPhone? Apple is so hysterical about security I don't think any bands, much less 3rd party ones, will be able to unlock iPhone.