Can I use BootCamp as a virtual machine ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGOOGLE, Mar 20, 2010.

1. iGOOGLE macrumors member

I have some games do not work well on XP via VMware virtual machine. Someone recommended me to install BootCamp on my mac to have games worked perfect.

and I'm wondering if BootCamp can be installed as a virtual machine or not!! :confused:

2. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

You've got it wrong. What this means is that to play the games you want as best as possible, you will need to run these games by Windows itself, not side-by-side with OS X. Bootcamp is pretty much an installation utility which allows you to run Windows without OS X in the background. Hopefully someone can come along and explain this better then me. But if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

3. be22323 macrumors newbie

I just finished installing Windows XP Pro SP3 in Bootcamp. I selected an NTFS format. This is not a virtual machine. It is XP in a Mac body.
    I then installed Parallels Desktop 5 (latest update). Parallels establishes the virtual machine.
    The XP virtual machine in Parallels seems to work fine.
    I installed printer drivers in Bootcamp and my Magic Mouse works as a simple mouse (after searching and reading this forum). I installed Comcast's free version of Norton in the Bootcamp XP.
    I then installed my windows only stock trading software which works both in Bootcamp XP and in Parallels.
    I will not use newer Windows software unless forced to do so financially.

4. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

If I install it on the mac body, can I use it some time as a virtual machine ?

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

You can have Windows running as a virtual machine under VMWare or Parallels, and you can also install Windows as a stand-alone OS on a separate partitition using BootCamp. You would have to install Windows twice -- once under VMWare and once using BootCamp.

You might not be able to activate the second Windows installation -- you might have to buy a second license, or at least be prepared to explain to Microsoft over the phone what you're doing, that both Windows installations are running on the same machine.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check out this guide: Booting Windows on a Mac

It should give you most of the information you need

What you are talking about is installing Windows through Bootcamp
    This allows you to dual boot and run run either OSX or Windows natively

You can also access your Bootcamp partition with Fusion or Parallels to run it as a VM too

You do not have to install Windows twice
    Fusion and Parallels will read the Bootcamp Partition and the Windows installed there
    You will need to install the VMware Tools or the Parallels equivalent for the activation to work correctly

7. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Err wait, you have to install it twice? I recall when I installed XP through Boot Camp then installed VMWare afterwards, VMWare automatically booted up through the partition that I installed using Boot Camp. No 2nd installation required. I needed to call Microsoft up to activate it for me though.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yeh, sorry. I'm likely wrong about the second installation...should be able to access the Windows install on the Bootcamp partition.

9. Bossone macrumors member

I am using boot camp and have set up a VM using the windows on boot camp. Things were working fine and then windows would not shut down.... it said it was in a "stopping state" needless to say I had issues, but windows under boot camp worked fine. I could kill the instance, but once restarted it would resume the stopping state. So I ended up deleting that Vm and started a new on, which works fine.

So to my question.... is there issues running your VM off of the windows in boot camp? Not legally, but from a technical perspective?

Thanks

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

you can install XP with bootcamp so you can run it separately and then you can point parallels to the partition and it will allow you to run it as a virtual machine also...I think...I know you can do it with either parallels or VMware fusion but can't remember which