Can I use existing analog speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alfredebowman, May 27, 2008.

1. alfredebowman macrumors newbie

I am a recent refugee from Windows. I had been using a set of 2.1 Sony analog (RCA jack) speakers that I would like to use with my new Mac Mini. The Mini has optical audio out. Is there any way I can use these speakers with this Mac?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Use a USB soundcard like this one (works great on a Mac). I used this on my mini when I had it for input.

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The audio jacks on Apple equipment accept both analog and optical signals, so yes, your speakers will work just fine. :)

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I have one of these that outputs from a USB port and also accepts analog input for recording purposes. It has some helpful software as well.

I'm not associated with the company.

Like Galley says above however, Mactracker tells me that new Mac Minis accept analog out of the box.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

HAHA...I thought when he said he was using analog speakers with RCA jack he was talking about these...HAHA :D

Attached Files:

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Those will work with a Y jack, twin RCA to mini plug. I have a couple.

7. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

The Y patch cable will work fine. I have a mini hooked up to my lcd tv like this. I could not get the optical to work even though buying the toslink cable and everything, that made me mad, those cables are not cheap. The only thing I have noticed though is that when I have a printer hooked up to the mini, I get a faint feedback (crackle) sound, but I do not really have a printer hooked up to it most of the time. I think it is more the printers fault though. The Y cable should suit you fine.