Can I use Front Row with Airport Express airtunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Iamtherealwoody, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Hi, did a little search couldnt find this. I just bought an airport express and got it all set up with a little home network; wireless internet, usb printer, and airtunes speakers. I would very much like to watch movies with front row through the airport express and airtunes, is this possible?
    Ive checked in system pref>sound> to see if I could set airtunes as audio output. I also tried setting Airport express as the output in itunes, since it seems that front row uses itunes, no dice. If anyone could help out it would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. kolax macrumors G3

There is a little program you can download so any video audio is streamed to the Airport Express. However, people have reported that the audio is out of sync with the video on screen (which makes sense, since it takes time to send out the signal to the Airport Express, then decode it, amplify it and send it out to whatever speakers are connected). You could try to add a delay to the video so the audio has time to catch up, but this depends on how far you are from the AE and other factors; so a permanent fix is unlikely.

Front Row should play music wirelessly though - haven't tried it but you can load up iTunes and have it play music and run Front Row and go to Music, and it has the option "Display Current Track" or something like that. So it should still stream wirelessly to the AE.

3. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Thanks for the response.
    well I never considered the delay in sending the audio. i guess thats a good reason for apple to not allow it when watching movies. its just as easy to plug the speakers into my computer.

Matt