Can I use iLife for viewing and Aperture for importing and editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Argelius, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

Here's my situation.

I'd used iPhoto for years, but recently switched to using Aperture. When setting up Aperture, I "imported" the iPhoto library by electing to leave the photos in their current location (i.e. in the iPhoto library). Any photos I subsequently imported into Aperture were placed in the Aperture library.

With iLife '11 out, I'd now like to use iPhoto as my photo browsing program, since I like all the new features that Aperture is now lacking from a photo-viewing, book creation, etc standpoint. However, I prefer to use Aperture as my photo editing program.

In other words, I'd like to use Aperture to import photos from my camera and do any editing (which I tend to do on nearly every photo); when I want to view or share photos, I'd like to use iPhoto '11. (Since I do some editing on most of my photos, merely using Aperture as an "external editor" from iPhoto is cumbersome).

Is this possible to do? I've tried researching this, but most articles are about moving from iPhoto to Aperture, not back and forth...

Thanks!

2. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Try going to iPhoto--File--Show Aperture Library.

Not sure if that function exists in iLife 11 but it does in 9.

3. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks. Sure enough, it's there.

Unfortunately, all it lets you do is import photos from Aperture into iPhoto. This would probably work if I didn't mind having duplicate photos on my hard drive, but that seems very messy (especially since I take a lot of photographs).

Alas, I can do what I need to do with just Aperture. I do like iPhoto 11 new interface, though.

4. dakduel macrumors member

ive been looking for something like this too

i love the new iphoto interface and would prefer to view photos in iPhoto will being able to edit them in aperture all while keeping them in one library