can i use iMac 2011 to install OS X on SSD for 2009 mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by madeirabhoy, Sep 17, 2015.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

my mac mini hard drive is stuffed and I've bought an SSD for it. i haven't got a thumb drive handy but the SSD comes with a wee caddy that goes into USB. can i install yosemite or el capital onto the SSD from my iMac then slot it into the mini or will the difference in age mean it won't install the correct files?

any other obvious way?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If I were you I would buy an external USB 3 caddie, take out your HHD drive and put that into the external. Then get your new SSD and install it. Then boot from the external and format that new SSD for OS X. Lastly download and do a FRESH install on the new SSD.

Next boot from the new SSD and use Migration Assistant to transfer programs, data, saved email. Don't transfer Network settings.

Now tell use how BIG is yor media (iTunes files) are? If the are to large for the SSD then the install will be a lot more elaborate!

3. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

the problem is the HHD is goosed

im not worried about copying files, the mini is only used for streaming tv and stuff so I'm happy with a virgin installation.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

O.K.

Then if you have another Mac, a good USB 3 thumb drive you could download a copy of OS X and burn it to a large thumb drive. Then when you replace that broken hard drive you can hold down option key while booting and boot to that thumb drive you installed OS X on. This way you could use Disk Utility to format the new drive for OS X copy OSX to that new SSD.

So here are done Mini drive install videos: OWC install videos.

5. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

turns out it worked, fine, plugged the SSD into the iMac usb, installed yosemite, stuck it in the mini, spent 30 mins trying to see why it couldn't see the drive, then realised i hadn't slotted the board back in properly. started up fine and getting updates.