Can I use iMessage on an International Trip without incurring charges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EC99SS, Apr 25, 2012.

1. EC99SS macrumors member

Hi
    We're about to go on an International trip and I will be taking my iPhone with me. Can I use iMessage without incurring any charges (AT&T)? if I'm right I can't turn on airplane mode otherwise SMS will not work.

So if I turn off network, data roaming, fetch but keep wifi on, can I use iMessage for free? I just want to be able to message family and use face time to talk to them each night.

Thanks much!

2. Shadowbech macrumors 601

There is no additional cost to sending imessage and does not count against your texting plan, but does count agaisnt the use of your data plan. You can send imessage even when u have turned cellular data off. Just as long as you have wifi connected.

3. EC99SS thread starter macrumors member

[/COLOR]

Really? When I was on an airplane I had airplane mode on and wifi on (conencted). When I tried to iMessage it said I couldn't with airplane mode on. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

You can make facetime calls even when you are in airplane mode, ive done it many times and it works. Just have your wifi on. Even with skype you can still call when airplane mode is on using just the wifi

----------

Go to your settings, messages tap on your number (should be in Receive at) and select your apple id. It should work. I send imessages many times when my phone is in airplane mode without any issues.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah. If you want it to work when you're not on wifi, get a global data roaming plan.

I have used iMessage in Airplane mode, and with no cell signal, in a basement lecture hall that has almost no service, but >100mbps of total wifi connectivity.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It'll pop up with a disable airplane mode every time u go into message but just tap cancel.

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Oh yeah, I just got that. That's annoying. I must have not been in Airplane Mode before, but just had no service.