Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Hey guys, I have to analyze movies for a psychology class and present them in class. The windows users in the class so far have been cutting the clips they need from the movies and combining them into a single file. I know I can do the same with iMovie for .mov files but the movie files I have are all avi. Will iMovie work seamlessly with cutting and pasting movie clips that are avi or divx?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm not sure if iMovie supports those file formats straight out of the box as it were, but I am sure that there are converters available that will convert them to Quicktime format so that you can edit it in iMovie.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
really though, .avi and .mov are all the same. You can even rename avis and movs and it won't make a bit of difference. Now what will make the difference is the codecs you have. You can usually google the codec name and find a mac quicktime codec pretty easily. The only modern codec you might be worried about is WMV3 (Windows Media Player 8-10) and to edit those you need the commercial Flip4Mac codec.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
really though, .avi and .mov are all the same. You can even rename avis and movs and it won't make a bit of difference. Now what will make the difference is the codecs you have. You can usually google the codec name and find a mac quicktime codec pretty easily. The only modern codec you might be worried about is WMV3 (Windows Media Player 8-10) and to edit those you need the commercial Flip4Mac codec.

Thanks! I downloaded a "divx codec" for quicktime as you suggested and now my avi's will run in quicktime! So this means I will be able to cut and paste them in iMovie? I guess the last question I have is what format can be plugged into keynote or powerpoint presentations?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
HOLY MOLY it's GOING SO SLOW to import a 700 mb .AVI file...is this normal!?

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
.sit is the extension for a Stuffit compressed file. You can download stuffit expander here. You need to open it with stuffit expander and then you should be able to install it.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
It should work i have an iBook G4 and it works perfectally with .avi and divx. It is a bit slow :( (very slow indeed:( :( ) but it is worth it and its great. my main problem is that i cant burn the dvd's without moving computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.