iPad Can I use ipad 3 or earlier model case for ipad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kjay80, Nov 6, 2012.

1. kjay80 macrumors regular

Due to lightning cable, do I have to wait for a new case/cover for ipad 4?
    or, does earlier model still fit into a new one?
    I am talking about 3rd party covers, cases, in general.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't see why it would not work, just would have a weird opening.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the sleep/wake functionality hasn't changed in terms of magnet location. The opening on the bottom for the connector will just be larger but I can't see that as a reason to give up on some decent cases.

4. anubis1980 macrumors regular

works fine, i am using one on my 4 from my old 3, Only (very slight) issue is the lightning connector is much small, but doesnt really look that bad.

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I'm using a Macnally case from my old iPad 2 on my 4. It's a tighter fit but it works.
    I think the answer to your question is that it really depends on the type of case. My wife has a leather case that you slide the iPad into/out of - it is flexible enough to stretch a little for her iPad 3, although she originally bought it for her old iPad 2. Cases with plastic backs and clips that grasp the edges of the iPad will be more hit and miss, at least between the iPad 2 and the 3/4. Remember the 3 and 4 have the exact same shape, whereas the 2 is/was slimmer.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you can find a Targus leather portfolio case for the iPad 1, it works great on the 3 and 4 with either a smart cover, smart case or ultrathin keyboard cover.

7. gcclubs macrumors newbie

Ipad 2 Case for Ipad 4

I have a Yoobao Magic case (the one that you clip i ipad into and unclip at the bottom to swing it out to sort of have it stand at an angle). I know the Ipad 4 is marginally thicker then teh ipad 2 but with a bit of gentle squeezing at the corners the ipad 4 snapped into place. I have tried yet to unsnap to have it stand as I don't do that very often. I like this case because it leaves the entire screen exposed unlike some cases that have material around the outer edge of the screen.

I believe Yoobao now makes the iSlim case which is similar and that is made for the ipad 3 so it should fit the ipad 4 with out any issues as I understand they have identical dimensions.

8. weas macrumors member

weas

I use my "old" smart case on my iPad 4. Works perf

9. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Both the smart cover and the mivizu back cover fit perfectly on my iPad 4. (used them on iPad 3 initially)

The device looks identical to its predecessor as far as I know, except the lightning port.

10. pantherus05 macrumors member

Using my iPad 2/3 Switcheasy Canvas case on my iPad 4. Fits perfectly, only difference is a slightly larger opening for the lightning vs 30 pin connector. No big deal.