Can I use iPhone without activating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AreYouAMac, Oct 27, 2008.

1. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Sup guys,

Well I bought a iPhone 3g on eBay that is factory sealed.

If I wanted to use it for everything else BESIDES having the phone service do I still have to activate it?

Since the phone is factory sealed, the auction said that to unlock it go via iTunes.

Or in order to bypass the Activation via iTunes, can I use another AT&T simcard that was ALREADY in another iPhone and place it in the new iPhone?

Thanks.

2. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

No, you'll just be stuck on the "Connect to Itunes" screen i think.

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

No, activating it makes it a live phone, not sure about popin' in another sim and hooking it into iTunes as it will see a new IMEI but active sim.

Jailbrake to make it an extremely OP'd iPod touch :p

4. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

Nope

Either AT&T / Apple Employee have to register that phone's IMEI and have it
    activate it. Do you think 1000s of people are stupid to go to store and get one with plan and activate in store?You can't afford the plan, get ipod touch :mad:

5. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

Woah dude.... why so rude?
    I don't even know why your getting mad.

Read the post thoroughly before being so anal. I WROTE "If I wanted to use it for everything else BESIDES having the phone service do I still have to activate it?"

*I even CAPITALIZED BESIDES in the first post *

1) I DON'T HAVE AT&T AND DON'T EVEN PLAN TO USE IT ON ANY AT&T PLAN

2) I purchased the iPhone just to use it for everything else BESIDES a phone. (HENCE... READ THE POST CAREFULLY)

3) And if you read past posts.. some people registered their 3G at home via iTunes b/c of problems activating it at the Apple & AT&T store -> so an AT&T or Apple Employee aren't required to register it

4) Sorry but.....I don't even understand your question. Why are they stupid again?

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

shoulda bought a touch then

waste of an iphone.

7. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

guys... if I wanted the touch.. i would have bought the touch. but I didn't want a touch.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

well you wasted your money because you wont be able to do anything different than if you had a touch.

9. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

seriously, why do you give a damn if I bought an iPhone and not use it as a phone?

I know it does the same thing as a touch... but i didnt want the touch. its not that hard to understand. if i can afford it i can afford it. no big deal to me.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

You can use it without a service plan. Run QuickPwn on it and it will be activated. If you'd prefer to stick to the unmodified firmware, you'll have to modify an earlier version (2.0.2 works) and then update to 2.1. Since activation is a one-time deal, you'll be able to update (unless something changes) through 3.x without activating it again. And since you want to use another AT&T SIM in the phone, you can run the original firmware with the service.

11. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

*cough*jailbreak*cough*

Ahem. Sorry about that.

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol ok be stupid and waste money. you're realllllllll smart.

go whine some more kid.

13. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

1. You need 2 year contract with AT&T in order to get iPhone 3G. Therefore, you obviously can't afford paying monthly bills.

2. Apple made iPod Touch which has everything else BESIDES a phone and some extra functions.

3. Yes, it's true due to AT&T server problem, but they did registered each phone's IMEI on the box which doesn't require to break seals.

4. What?

Calm down son ;)