Can I Use iPhoto To Delete Specific Photos from iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hrothgar, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Hrothgar, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I think I'm missing something obvious.

I have about 1500 photos on my iPhone. I'd like to go through and delete many of them. They're all uploaded into iPhoto.

Instead of doing this on the phone, I thought I could plug the phone into my computer, open iPhoto, click on the phone, and then batch select and delete photos.

I can get up to the last point -- I can select the photos I want to delete from the phone, but when I right-click, I don't get any option to delete the selected photos.

ETA: there is a button that says "Remove Photos from iPhone". But that seems to remove all of the photos from the phone.

What am I missing?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can only delete photos that are on your iPhone's Camera Roll using your iPhone. If you want to delete pictures that have been downloaded into iPhoto, you will have to delete from iPhoto, then next time you sync your iPhone, they'll disappear from there as well.

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. Thank you.
    so, I deleted a lot of photos on my phone.

According to the phone, I've got 562 photos in my camera roll and 552 in my photo stream. I assume there's some overlap.

But when I plug the phone into iTunes, it says I have 2,230 photos!

Any explanation? I'm trying to free up space on my phone. I get the idea that there's is a lot of wasted junk on there.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I don't use Photostream, so can't comment on that.

Those would be photos that you have taken with your iPhone.

Those would be photos that you have in iPhoto and have been synced to your iPhone and should appear in the Photos App.

5. xbpr macrumors member

Try the application "image capture" on your Mac.

6. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

I notice that I've got a folder "recently deleted". These appear to be the photos that I deleted from my iPhone. I guess Apple doesn't want me to actually delete them?

The remaining photos in my Photo roll and all of the other albums only add up to about 650 or so. iTunes is set to only synch specific albums, but I guess I'll check it again.

Does Apple have a page that explains how iPhoto works? Every time IOS updates, there are new folders, and new views that I can't understand. (I sound like my Dad. "I just figured out how to use this and they change it!)

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine