Can I use iTunes Match like this?

Jinsou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
hello, Here is what I want to do with my music library. Been reading and have searched the forums, but can't seem to find someone that wants to do the same thing.

I want to completely erase my library from my disk, and my iPhone. Would it work like this? Get iTunes Match-> upload/match songs -> delete local library -> play whatever song I want to hear, delete it when done( since there is a debate about it downloading only, not streaming ).

Here's the other part. When I buy a song from iTunes, what if i want it delivered ONLY to the cloud. and then if I want to play it on my iPhone i get it.

My library is just taking way to much space everywhere it's sitting. phone/laptop you know...(36gb of music)

Or is there any other service that will do this?

Thanks

PS. My signature is incorrect. I own a 15'' 2.2/8GB/750Hdd and I have a 32Gb iPhone.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to mess up this person's music collection.

I think you can do this since iTunes match works by matching songs to their database and uploading songs from your HD that they don't have creating a cloud based version.

If you purchase a song I think it will download it do whatever device you purchase it on. I don't think there is anyway to change this so you would be deleting songs/movies/books as you buy them. It will also be available in the cloud so you can download on any other device.

If you go down this route I would recommend keeping a backup of your music to avoid any loss of music in the cloud.

Fuchal

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2003
Within iTunes, songs are always streamed unless specifically downloaded. You can easily run a streamed library where 0 songs are stored locally.

The only time songs are automatically downloaded are on iPhone and iPad devices

mcard

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I have Match, and I haven't been able to upload any music videos or any digital booklets that come with the albums. That could be a potential problem when deleting an entire music collection.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I have Match, and I haven't been able to upload any music videos or any digital booklets that come with the albums. That could be a potential problem when deleting an entire music collection.
Good point. Match only works with music.