Can I use iTunes Match like this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jinsou, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

hello, Here is what I want to do with my music library. Been reading and have searched the forums, but can't seem to find someone that wants to do the same thing.

I want to completely erase my library from my disk, and my iPhone. Would it work like this? Get iTunes Match-> upload/match songs -> delete local library -> play whatever song I want to hear, delete it when done( since there is a debate about it downloading only, not streaming ).

Here's the other part. When I buy a song from iTunes, what if i want it delivered ONLY to the cloud. and then if I want to play it on my iPhone i get it.

My library is just taking way to much space everywhere it's sitting. phone/laptop you know...(36gb of music)

Or is there any other service that will do this?

Thanks

PS. My signature is incorrect. I own a 15'' 2.2/8GB/750Hdd and I have a 32Gb iPhone.

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to mess up this person's music collection.

I think you can do this since iTunes match works by matching songs to their database and uploading songs from your HD that they don't have creating a cloud based version.

If you purchase a song I think it will download it do whatever device you purchase it on. I don't think there is anyway to change this so you would be deleting songs/movies/books as you buy them. It will also be available in the cloud so you can download on any other device.

If you go down this route I would recommend keeping a backup of your music to avoid any loss of music in the cloud.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Within iTunes, songs are always streamed unless specifically downloaded. You can easily run a streamed library where 0 songs are stored locally.

The only time songs are automatically downloaded are on iPhone and iPad devices

4. mcard macrumors newbie

I have Match, and I haven't been able to upload any music videos or any digital booklets that come with the albums. That could be a potential problem when deleting an entire music collection.

5. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

Good point. Match only works with music.