Can I use iWeb HTML for Facebook Pages (FBML)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMunkie, Sep 26, 2009.

1. MacMunkie macrumors newbie

To all those of you out there that have a custom tab on your Facebook Fan Page ... I was wondering if there was a way to use the HTML exported from iWeb '09 (into a local folder) for a FaceBook Fan Page custom tab (using "static FBML" application)??? I don't really want to purchase Dreamweaver if I don't have... Any input would be great. Thanks! :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not familiar with FBML but I kind of doubt it, only because of how iweb renders pages. FBML will need to handle javascript and you'll need to be able to create directories in FBML. For instance, iweb puts its files in various folders that you'd need to replicate on facebook. Export a simple iweb website to your sites folder and use the finder to see what is created. You'd need that on facebook.

I'd also not recommend that you buy dreamweaver just to create a page on facebook - seems over kill. Why not code the pages yourself? Check out coda from panic software. That's pretty cheap and will get you going.

3. MacMunkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply maflynn... but did you mean by:
    ????

If I export something from iWeb to a sites folder, I can use what's in that and just paste it in the FBML box on my facebook fan page? Or do I need another program/software to convert that? Sorry, I'm just not good at this code stuff but I will check out the coda software you mentioned. Also, my boss just bought Dreamweaver yesterday so it wouldn't be much of a stretch (just didn't want to have to ask him to use it is all.):eek:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I meant that if you exported your iweb site to your sites folder on your hard drive. You would see the physical iweb website structure, how it looks from a folders view. where all of the .js files exist and where the various other components that make up an iWeb website. Then you can determine if that structure could be used by the facebook application, i.e., determine if iweb can do what your asking.