Can I use iWeb to make an online shop?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Beth95, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Beth95 macrumors newbie

Ok, be gentle with me. Total novice here. I am about to publish a book and need a website to sell it through (thus avoiding Amazon's crippling cut of the cover price). I started playing around with iWeb, but it seems I cannot have a PayPal button on there. Is this right?

What would you guys recommend that I do? It's convenient to use iWeb, but even if I export the content as it suggests, and have it on another site I don't think it can be used as a shop, can it?

I played around with WordPress too. Would that be better?

I am completely at sea here to be honest, and any advice would be gratefully received. I enjoy learning new things but I need some really basic, clear advice just to get me started in the right direction.

Thank you!

Beth

ETA - Just found this tip. Will it work???:

1. Login into your PayPal account

2. Go to Merchant portal and you will find something called "Key features" where you have to choose what button you would like to add

- PayPal shopping cart

- Buy now buttons

- Donations

3. Once you chose the one you want click on it and you will be led to a page where you have many options to customize the button (Step 1, Step 2, Step 3)

4. Once you customized your button click on "Create Button" at the bottom of the page

5. The code will be created. Click on "Select code" and copy it Command(Apple)+C

6. Go to your iWeb=>Widgets=>HTML Snippets and paste the code in the black window and then hit Apply (if you use iWeb '06 you will not have HTML Snippets, in this case refer to the Alternative HTML FAQ on my site)

7. You will see the button appearing on your site. You're done.

2. alm99 macrumors 6502

You put the HTML code for the button whereever you want to have it on your iweb site via the HTML snippet widget.

3. Beth95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks alm99! I just went through the steps in that first post, and it worked! I guess it is possible to have this enabled with another server other than Mobile Me too, which is a help.