Can I use lens cleaner on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aditya_S, May 25, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I have Ultra Clarity Lens Cleaner and it says it works with cell phones, but it doesn't have a full list of ingredients, just says it contains isopropanol. Is this ok to use with my iPhone if I don't get it in any of the ports?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think the only ingredient you need to avoid is ammonia. It breaks down the coating on the screen.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I use eyeglass cleaner all the time and wipe down woth a microfiber eyeglass cloth. Even on the back of the device (both my iPad and iPhone).

Just be sure not to spray it into any holes.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Alcohol based cleaners are fine it's solvent based cleaners that will stain the aluminium and damage the screens coating.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe down. I keep one next to the charger and do it just before putting it on charge in the morning. No chemicals are required. Less is better!

6. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

For someone like you who worries about their phone so much, a microfiber cloth and plain water can never go wrong.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A dry microfiber cloth is what I use.

But doesn't really work well when your kids just finished eating crepes or popcorn or chocolate and left their smudged fingerprints all over your iPad. At that point a dry microfiber cloth is doing nothing but smearing stuff all over everything.

Why I use lens cleaner at that point.

8. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been using a damp microfiber cloth already. I was just curious about using the lens cleaner since it said I could on cell phones.

9. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I've been using lens cleaner for years to clean my display. You won't have any issues.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I use Zeiss Lens Wipes. My TShirts, dry hand towels etc. Nothing has hurt the screen.

11. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi ,

I like this thread and would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for glass cleaners for the iPhone. Thanks!

12. Field3 macrumors newbie

pretty sure i read in apple's bit about care, alcohol is a no no, as is ammonia. having said that i have used sprayway glass cleaner (alcohol base) on crts' for 20 years and on matte flat panel displays for the last 10, weekly. Same for istuff. I just don't spay the device, i dampen a costco microfiber towel and wipe. once is usually enough. Because it evaporates quickly i don't worry to much about using extra on the buttons if they get gooey.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If I had a nic
    There have been hundreds of "how do I clean my screen" threads, just look at the bottom of this page.

14. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

yup Zeiss Lens Wipes works, alternatively get the Media Devil Magicpotion cleaner for devices from Amazon; its literally magic

15. tworth23 macrumors regular

Just use a wet one. Antibacterial wipes. I've been using for years on front and back of my iPhone's. Just wipe on and buff dry with t-shirt

16. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I do that on my iPad but only because it is larger and less likely to accidentally get it in the ports.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I second just water and microfiber. Sometimes a dry wipe doesn't cut it, particularly when you have kids. I can't think of any situation water and a cloth wasn't sufficient though.

18. nnoble macrumors regular

I tend to treat my 'phone as a 'thing'. I simply breath on it and wipe it on my shirt.