iPad Pro Can I use Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter to connect usb stick to IPP 12.9 2nd gen now?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I installed IPad OS public beta on my IPP 12.9”. Can I use this adapter to connect usb devices such as usb memory stick to the IPP 12.9" 2nd gen to allow file exchange between usb device and my IPP?

I think I have seen that on YouTube but a sales in Apple Store “refused” to sell it to me claiming that even I have the beta installed, this function is not available until few months later.

She said that this adapter is to connect a real camera to the IPad. I think she is wrong. Want to double check here.

Last edited:

bradbomb

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Yes you can, but most likely you will need to provide power in the lightning port of the USB3 adapter. I have been using the adapter with a small battery pack and it has worked with flash drives and SD Card readers. I got it to mount a 5TB portable drive, but that was with a powered hub plugged into the adapter.

Reactions: hajime

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
If you have the iPadOS 13 beta, external drives work today, with the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. But yes, you need external power. As bradbomb says, a battery pack will work, but I've been using a phone charger.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Yes you can, but most likely you will need to provide power in the lightning port of the USB3 adapter. I have been using the adapter with a small battery pack and it has worked with flash drives and SD Card readers. I got it to mount a 5TB portable drive, but that was with a powered hub plugged into the adapter.
Can't I use the charger for iPP to provide power to the adapter?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks. I use Windows 10 mostly and sometimes Linux on home workstation. IPP could be ultraportable for teaching. Have not decided to buy a MBP or Windows/Linux laptop yet. It depends on what Windows and Mac laptops are to be released the remaining of summer. If butterfly keyboard again on 16" mbp, I will probably not buy it. In this case, what format in external storage is recommended?

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68020
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi, I installed IPad OS public beta on my IPP 12.9”. Can I use this adapter to connect usb devices such as usb memory stick to the IPP 12.9" 2nd gen to allow file exchange between usb device and my IPP?

I think I have seen that on YouTube but a sales in Apple Store “refused” to sell it to me claiming that even I have the beta installed, this function is not available until few months later.

She said that this adapter is to connect a real camera to the IPad. I think she is wrong. Want to double check here.
Yup! I wish you good luck!