Can I use Mail for Hotmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rph105, May 5, 2008.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

can i use the apple app Mail, for my hotmail account and set it up, if possible what account type is it, and what is the incoming mail server, asks for this when i try and set it up, thanks in advancee

Raph

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

HttpMail works for some, and MacFreePops should work.

3. big_malk macrumors 6502a

yip, last time I checked you needed the 'premium' hotmail account, or whatever its called, the paid for version.

4. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

downloaded the http mail thing, how do i use it?

how can i set up hotmail on the mail account, any feedback will be appreciated!

5. henchosbandito macrumors member

ive been looking into this myself. You have to upgrade to Windows Live Plus, which is around £15 a year. To set up your live account in your own mail application, you have to follow a link. When i followed it, there was a link on the page which sets up the account automatically with outlook. I dont know if it works with Mail. However, for those of us who dont want to pay for the privilege of being able to read our mail in a different app, MS have release a piece of mail software for windows based machines, almost like a basic outlook.

keep us posted if you managed to get your live account working in Mail

6. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Very helpful video HERE

I used it to help me set up MacFreePOPs and it's working like a charm so far =)
    Only slight problem is that you can't send mail
    Does anyone know of a way of doing this without reverting to using the web-based version?

7. rcownley macrumors member

I decided hotmail sucked, so converted to gmail, and havn't looked back since.

It's nice to be able to use mail for once.

8. rdevoogh macrumors newbie

I have been considering this option, as it would allow me to use the mac mail, ichat, and access my emails from other windows based computers on campus. The only issue is the use of msn (I would still need a hotmail account for messenger). I wish there were a system that would allow us to use the programs on our computers without having to manage multiple email accounts.

9. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

You can sign a Google Mail account up to a Windows Live ID, so you can still use MSN and other Windows Live programs. I'm pretty sure there's also an option to import all of your contacts from another account too

10. rcownley macrumors member

My old hotmail account i used to use on msn with adium, now i use my gmail account as an msn account with adium..

I downloaded msn 7, saved my contacts list from my old hotmail account to my desktop, got a live ID for my gmail account, signed in on msn 7 with my gmail, imported my contact list, had to repeat this a few times til all 200 or so contacts had gone through, when i was happy they had, i deleted the pile of poop that is msn 7 and signed in using adium.

worked a treat.

:p

11. rdevoogh macrumors newbie

i tried to log into msn with a gmail account address, and it did not work. how did you guys sign up for a windows live id with the gmail address?

12. rcownley macrumors member

13. cowman007 macrumors regular

Gmail???

Anyone know if this is possible with gMail????

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Yup