Can I use my 3gs SIM in a gophone while awaiting the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hushmartin, Oct 11, 2011.

1. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I sent off my 3gs to Amazon, no problems there. But... I have to have some kind of phone for work. I bought a cheap gophone to use...can I just pop my SIM in and use it for the next few days? Will it screw up anything? I'm mainly worried about somehow losing my text plan and unlimited data. I mean, can they take it away if they see I have a different phone? Even if for only a few days?

Help! :confused:

2. wratran macrumors regular

i am interested in knowing this as well....

3. rosh325 macrumors regular

The Answer (from personal experience)

Hi Guys,
    I sold my 3Gs last week and asked this question to AT&T before doing so. I was told that as long as you don't call AT&T and specifically have them switch the IMEI #, you're fine. You don't lose your unlimited data plan and it doesn't affect your text message plan etc. You can just pop your sim into the new phone and then immediately use it, no need to call.

I did get a bit nervous when my AT&T account page showed the new phone instead of the iphone, but again, my account information is still the same. I recently pre-ordered the 4s and was able to keep my existing grandfathered data plan.

4. hushmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, I would so +10000000 you right now. I went ahead and did it, but have been avoiding using my phone unless I really REALLY have to. I don't talk on the phone too much anyway-- but I have to have it for my job.