Can I use my Airport Extreme to..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LoganRusling, Feb 26, 2012.

1. LoganRusling macrumors newbie

Can I use my AirPort Extreme to create a wireless network from a wired router?

TWC, everytime I set up internet at a new place, sends me a non-wireless router whenever they come to install my stuff. I want to use my AirPort Extreme to create a wireless network, using the internet provided from the POS router they sent me.

It's a ubee router. I'll go and look at the specs and update this post whenever I get them.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can use an AEBS as router, if your ISP does not limit the routers to their own.
    I have an AEBS and use it as router connected to the modem and have one wireless network and a wired one.

3. LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I disconnected my router and connected my AirPort Extreme to my modem using the port that has the circle of dots on my AirPort Extreme.(AEBS?) I set it up to create a wireless network, set up the password and all that.

After restarting my MacBook and connecting to the AirPort Extreme, (wirelessly) I got no internet connection.

I have used this AirPort in another location before and did this same process and it worked fine. BUT I had a wireless router.

4. simsaladimbamba

Have you setup the INTERNET part via AirPort Utility? You have to enable PPPoE there.

5. LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

Just want to let you know that I've read your post but I don't quite understand.

I'm googling now to do what you're saying might fix the problem, I'll edit whenever I am done.

6. jackrv macrumors 6502

The screenshots look like setting up an AEBS as a Modem AND a Router. If you select bridge mode, you should be able to connect your AEBS to your router and have it just act as a wireless access point.

7. simsaladimbamba

But the AEBS does not have modem capabilities, those are just the settings to dial up to the internet via an extra modem, but maybe it is different in other countries.

8. LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I have tried to put my AirPort Extreme into Bridge Mode, using tutorials online and still to no avail. I still get the flashing error on my AEBS, and it seems to not even show up wirelessly anymore whenever i plug it into the modem.
    As for the PPoE, I have no idea what username and/or password to use as I have no idea what my ISP's settings are.
    I have tried to connect to the modem using 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, but no page loads.

9. simsaladimbamba, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

simsaladimbamba

The modem, unless modem/router combos, don't have a web interface.
    If the modem you have is a modem/router combo, there are also other addresses to use, but the if it is a modem/router combo, the address will be printed on a sticker on the underside of that modem/router combo.

As for your ISP settings, either look at the old router's settings (if the modem is NOT a modem/router combo) or at the letter your ISP send you with all the data, or ask your ISP to resend you the data.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

11. LoganRusling, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm attempting to look at the bottom of the modem after I finish this post.

I think using the word "router" has officially screwed me, because I don't think it is a router at all, as I cannot load up a web interface to it like said above. So, this POS modem won't work with bridge mode. I'm going to attempt to use PPoE using the address and password located on the bottom of the modem (if there is one).

EDIT: This is like another language to me. The Time Warner Cable guy is actually almost to my house right now to swap my router out for the one I originally wanted, but I'm stubborn and want to know why this wasn't working.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's the modem. Maybe this will provide more clues as to what I'm doing isn't working?

12. androiphone macrumors 65816

that is a modem, it is connected to your Cable internet, on the back there should be a single Ethernet port which you should connect to the WAN port on the Extreme, you would then use PPPoE and that should be it, you shouldn't need any log in information as (AFAIK) no Cable internet needs a password.

setup should be as easy as just plugging a single computer into the modem if you didn't want to use a router.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=934

13. LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, for some odd reason didn't work. Anyways, got the wireless router installed and no more problems.

Lesson: Be 100% SURE that the person on the phone puts a wireless router in the work order.
    Pros: I never had to pay extra :)

Thanks for all the help and support though, guys. I'm assuming that that POS ubee modem just wouldn't work the way we wanted it to.