Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Both my friend and I have a 2010 Macbook Air. I lost my Snow Leopard installation thumbdrive, but he still has his. I was wondering if I could use his thumbdrive to do a reinstallation on my MBA.

Will there be any problems doing this? Especially regarding serial number or warranty?

Thanks. :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you have the same model, it will work. Also make a clone of the drive, to have one yourself.
There will be no problems with serial number or warranty, as Apple is not like Microsoft with protecting its software.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
If you have the same model, it will work. Also make a clone of the drive, to have one yourself.
There will be no problems with serial number or warranty, as Apple is not like Microsoft with protecting its software.

Is there any actual proof of this anywhere? My friend doesn't believe me. :(

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Well if he has the 2010 Air then he does have the licence for Snow Leopard. He's just lost the installation media.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Well if he has the 2010 Air then he does have the licence for Snow Leopard. He's just lost the installation media.

Exactly. And yes your buddies install USB drive will work for yours since they are the same model.

castillo4141

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
You don't have a license for SL; therefore what you are proposing to do is piracy. If you want SL be ethical and buy it.

He has a 2010 MBA...that came with SL. That's her license, unless he is planning to upgrade I don't see any problem in that (besides for this to be an ethic problem we must have a long conversation first to determine if intellectual property as established by the US government is the good way to deal with human inventions) maybe legal problem, but then again, legally speaking, it is ok.

And if your friend doesn't believe it, you can always go to an Apple Store and they can help you, of course they may charge you for the aid - not for the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.