Can I use my friend's upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kisey, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Kisey macrumors 6502a

I currently do not qualify for an upgrade. My friend is allowing me to use one of the upgrades on his family plan to get an iPhone at the discounted price. If he upgrades one of his lines and gives me the phone, would I be able to activate and use it?

2. Spronic macrumors newbie

I had thought about this too. I am sure you can do it, since you would only need to put in your microsim card to make it work. Unless you plan on using T-Mobile, then you would need to cut one down and unlock it. I'm positive that AT&T doesn't bind the phone itself to the purchaser, however you will probably need that person to first activate it.

Also another issue is, the plan that the upgrade is be used on should already on a iPhone type plan. So say you get the phone and they are only using a feature phone from nokia, that plan would still have to pay for the internet and the data plan of an iPhone.

Of course you could always buy a no-commitment phone yourself. Either way, hope that helps.

3. danielroman macrumors member

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes,but you'll need to get a new non-microsim for the phone that you upgraded.

5. Kisey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I plan on using it with AT&T and adding the appropriate data plan. I just wanted to double check and make sure before I go ahead and have my friend order the iPhone for me. Thanks for the quick replies.