Can I use my Galaxy Nexus sim in my iPad?

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
My Nexus has unlimited LTE data.

Can anyone confirm whether or not I can use that sim full time on my iPad and keep my unlimited data?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It will probably work, but it's against AT&T's terms of service. Don't be surprised if AT&T sends you a nasty text message...

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
It will probably work, but it's against AT&T's terms of service. Don't be surprised if AT&T sends you a nasty text message...
He has a Verizon Phone they now only Allow it they even support it.

So Sir yes use your Nexus Sim!

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
If this works, that's pretty crazy.. I wish I still had a 4g phone to test with since I have a Verizon ipad3.

Someone test and see if your data works.. This would be insane news for people still on unlimited data with Verizon.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
If you have a LTE phone and you use the sim in your iPad for unlimited LTE data.. Does the phone revert back to 3g without the SIM card? If so that, that would be phenomenal.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
to OP.

root your Galaxy Nexus, install custom ROM that allows native tethering.

voila.

you now don't need to pay extra $$ for a LTE enabled iPad, and get WiFi instead.

going at 20Mb/s :)

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
to OP.

root your Galaxy Nexus, install custom ROM that allows native tethering.

voila.

you now don't need to pay extra $$ for a LTE enabled iPad, and get WiFi instead.

going at 20Mb/s :)
Not a very good option considering tethering on a phone completely destroys the battery.. If anything, if you still can get 3g data on your phone, you would rather have LTE on the media device (iPad) and not ever worry about overages.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Not a very good option considering tethering on a phone completely destroys the battery.. If anything, if you still can get 3g data on your phone, you would rather have LTE on the media device (iPad) and not ever worry about overages.
yeah for my use case scenario, 9 times out of 10, when I'm tethering, I have a power source near me (in the car, starbucks has outlets, as well as libraries, etc)

but, if its possible to pop my SIM card into a Verizon LTE iPad that would be pretty cool, if there were no extra fees.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
My Nexus battery sucks so bad. :D

Well, $60 a month ain't too bad for unlimited LTE. I'm paying $50 for 5GB at the moment.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I just found out your phone loses 3g/4g together if you put the sim in your iPad.. The SIM card authenticates your device for 3g and 4g.. So getting 3g on your phone while having 4g on the iPad is a no go..

The only decent option is turning on tethering on your iPad all the time and providing wifi access to your phone.. The iPad should last substantially longer as a hotspot than a phone could.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I think the issue is that Verizon LTE is a UMTS technology (which uses sim cards and the IMEI) while Verizon 3G is a CDMA2000 technology (which doesn't not use a sim and uses the ESN).

I'm not up to date on the iPad 3 hardware, but I don't think that it has a CDMA2000 compatible radio(?) whereas the Galaxy Nexus has both?

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the issue is that Verizon LTE is a UMTS technology (which uses sim cards and the IMEI) while Verizon 3G is a CDMA2000 technology (which doesn't not use a sim and uses the ESN).

I'm not up to date on the iPad 3 hardware, but I don't think that it has a CDMA2000 compatible radio(?) whereas the Galaxy Nexus has both?
I doubt it works like that, it wouldn't be able to get CDMA2000 3g in non-LTE cities if that's the case.. I'm pretty sure the iPad3 can connect to non-LTE verizon networks.