Can I use my iMac as a wireless repeater?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sultanoflondon, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors regular

Hi all,

Would it be possible for me to use my iMac as a wireless repeater of some sorts? Basically use my AirPort card to pick up signals from my home router (which is quite far away but my iMac does get good signal somehow) and then broadcast it somehow? If so, how would I do this?

Further, what is the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless repeater. I know that a repeater basically takes a WiFi signal and makes it stronger, but what about he access point?

Thanks in advance!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not workable- the iMac can act do internet sharing but only from one media to another..ie.. ethernet to wi-fi or the other way around,

3. sultanoflondon thread starter macrumors regular

Really? That is a shame! Oh well...

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It is, but it comes down to that you'd need two (one for in and one for out) Wi-Fi card in your Mac.

5. sultanoflondon thread starter macrumors regular

That's not really feasible. Thanks for the post anyway.

6. CH12671 macrumors 6502

USB WiFi dongles are fairly cheap now-days...

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When you connect two interfaces like you say, you are creating a bridge essentially. I would invest in either a stronger router, an AP that you can hardwire, or maybe even an extender. The problem with wirelessly extending anything is you only get half of what you put in. For example, if the extender can only connect at G speeds (54 Mbps) then half will be usable.