Can I use my iMac as monitor without replacing its broken video card?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Declanimation, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Declanimation macrumors newbie

Declanimation

I have an old late 2009 27" iMac with a wrecked video card. I've never bothered to fix it because it broke around the same time I got myself a new Mac Pro, but I've been thinking I'd love to use it as a second monitor.

Can anyone advise me re whether or not this is doable?

From what I've read online, it's generally possible to turn an iMac into a monitor using a thunderbolt cable, but I'm wondering specifically if it's possible to do it if it's got a bung video card. Thunderbolt cables are a bit pricey, so I wanted to ask here before going out and buying one.

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You don't need a thunderbolt cable, Display port (or DVI as it's 2009) cables or adapters are what you need check your mac models specs.

I am not sure on the use with a busted graphics card but I don't think it'll work if you cant get the computer to boot up...

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It likely will not work however you can try it though. You will need a Mini Display Port to Mini Display Port (same physical size as a Thunderbolt) and then attempt to use the thing in Target Display Mode. DO NOT get a Thunderbolt cable, the iMac's from 2009 did not have Thunderbolt.

Good luck.

4. Declanimation thread starter macrumors newbie

Declanimation

> "You don't need a thunderbolt cable, Display port (or DVI as it's 2009) cables or adapters are what you need"

Whoops yep, sorry, should've known that. Cheers!

> "I don't think it'll work if you cant get the computer to boot up..."

Yeah, that's my concern :/

5. Declanimation thread starter macrumors newbie

Declanimation

Alright, looks like I might just have to buy the cable and hope for the best. Thanks so much!

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

They're cheap, contact Monoprice for one. I am assuming the computer boots up of course, if it doesn't do that then you're wasting your time with it.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

8. Significant1 macrumors 6502

With broken gpu i could boot my 2009 iMac up in safe mode (shift down during startup) and use tdm.