Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
My ipad mini is about to die. I love the mini. I travel a lot and it is my go to device for when I am on the road. I am grandfathered in on the ATT unlimited data plan. Since it doesn’t look like Apple is going to update the ipad mini, i was thinking of buying the iphone Xs Max in full without a contract and using it as my ipad mini replacement.

Is it possible to use my unlimited ATT ipad data plan on an iphone Xs Max? Without activating it as a phone? Just have the unlimited data plan from my iPad? That would be pretty cool if possible.

Thanks for any replies.

rikmac

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
Florida
You could probably try now with someone, or yourself, with an unlocked phone. I too still have unlimited originally iPad plan and was consider trying it but just never got around too it. It sure would be interesting to know if it works. Unfortunately my iPhone is with t-mobile and not unlocked so I cannot try.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I’m gonna wait until the ipad event next month to see if the ipad mini truly is dead. Not holding my breath tho. I just want to find out before then if putting an ipad sim card with an unlimited data plan into an iphone xs max will work. Would be the perfect travel device for me if it did.

Last edited:

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
My ipad mini is about to die. I love the mini. I travel a lot and it is my go to device for when I am on the road. I am grandfathered in on the ATT unlimited data plan. Since it doesn’t look like Apple is going to update the ipad mini, i was thinking of buying the iphone Xs Max in full without a contract and using it as my ipad mini replacement.

Is it possible to use my unlimited ATT ipad data plan on an iphone Xs Max? Without activating it as a phone? Just have the unlimited data plan from my iPad? That would be pretty cool if possible.

Thanks for any replies.
Off topic but why not buy a 2018 budget version? Or if you want to spend the cash just buy the pro when it comes out. Unless your needing a phone to.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Off topic but why not buy a 2018 budget version? Or if you want to spend the cash just buy the pro when it comes out. Unless your needing a phone to.

Well, I love the ipad mini for travel. I travel a lot, and it’s the perfect size. Unlike any other ipad, it can fit in my cargo pants pocket. But it looks like Apple is going to discontinue the mini. I have the AT&T unlimited data plan. So even tho the iphone xs max is smaller than the ipad mini, i figure it could be a substitute for when i travel. Since i don’t use my ipad mini to make calls, I like the idea of using the iphone xs max as a smaller mini with unlimited data. The iphone xs max would also be replacing my dslr as my only travel camera...so its not too pricey.

Thats why i am asking if anyone has ever tried swaping out their ipad sim and putting it into their iphone for a data only device. I think that’d be so cool.

heyjoe23

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2016
I had a T-mobile data sim for my iPad mini that I would sometimes take out and place in an old iPhone 6s plus and iPhone SE and it worked for data only. But I only tried it a couple times and at a day at a time. Not sure if you keep it in the iPhone if the carrier would catch wind of it being in a phone and stop the service.

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Well, I love the ipad mini for travel. I travel a lot, and it’s the perfect size. Unlike any other ipad, it can fit in my cargo pants pocket. But it looks like Apple is going to discontinue the mini. I have the AT&T unlimited data plan. So even tho the iphone xs max is smaller than the ipad mini, i figure it could be a substitute for when i travel. Since i don’t use my ipad mini to make calls, I like the idea of using the iphone xs max as a smaller mini with unlimited data. The iphone xs max would also be replacing my dslr as my only travel camera...so its not too pricey.

Thats why i am asking if anyone has ever tried swaping out their ipad sim and putting it into their iphone for a data only device. I think that’d be so cool.

I have an Xs Max and it's still not as convenient as when I was using an iPad Mini 4, which my son needed to take to college. However, it's still a better option for people like us than buying a full size iPad (I rarely carry my Air 2 around outside of the house). I have not tried my grandfathered iPad unlimited SIM in the Xs Max, as mine is in the iPad Mini 4 that my son too to school and I can't test it.

The instant Apple discontinues the Mini 4 without a Mini 5, and there is no hope of an update, I'll try to snap up one from the Apple Store while they still have some in stock. Meanwhile, I'd rather wait for a Mini 5 or Mini Pro a little bit longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.