can I use my iphone 3G just as a ipod / pda

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cis4life, May 23, 2009.

1. cis4life macrumors regular

Hello all,

Before you all tell me to search the forums, I have and can't seem to find a real answer for this.

Heres the situation.

I currently have a iphone 3G. I love this device, but in my field (Medical Software Developer) I can't have a phone that dropping calls all the time, and the consistent reception problems. So sadly, I'll be going over to verizon so I can have better phone service. BUT, I would love to keep my iphone and use it as a wifi device and ipod.

So once i move over to verizon and my att account is cancelled, and I pull the sim out of my iphone, will i be able to use it strictly as a wifi device and ipod? or will i have to sell the iphone and buy the touch to get this functionality.

Cedric

2. Apple all life macrumors 6502

If you pull the sim out I dont think you can use it anymore. Why not just buy an ipod touch and sell iphone?

3. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

I will if I have to.

Its just I have the double cap. mophie case / battery for it and wanted to keep it as I have it now.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just leave the sim card in the phone. All ATT will do is deactive the card. Hell I have my old sim card sitting in a desk draw that I used to make an old phone work so I could use transfer blue tooth files.

All the phone would tell me is the sim card is not active where it normally would say ATT.

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Why would you pull the SIM out of it?

If you are going to a different carrier, then there is no reason to.

Leave the SIM in and I believe it will still work for all those other functions.

6. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

I'll do that. I'm on my way to verizon to do the switch. (I really wished AT&T would upgrade their network so ppl like me wouldn't have to do this)

Cedric

7. oneschance macrumors member

Airplane Mode still allows you to access Wi-Fi. Keep the phone in airplane mode all the time since that overlooks the phone service anyway.

8. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

I'm sure it will still work even without the sim

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

iPhone will work with out a Sim Card installed. When the sim card is deactivated the phone will say "No Service" instead of "AT&T". When the Sim is removed, It will say "No Sim" instead of "AT&T" With out service, do not update the iPhone OS or restoring as it will try to re-activate it with AT&T and it then will be bricked until you get a new Sim card and connect to iTunes to activate with AT&T.

10. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

Your right about the activation, I forgot about that aspect

I think i better just sell the iphone and get myself the ipod touch to avoid all this activation and so forth.

Thanks for that insight,
    Cedric

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Good Idea, unless you don't care about updating and restoring. A new iPod touch is expected to be released in September 2009.

12. trssho macrumors 6502

I would highly recommend keeping your iPhone rather than replacing it with an iPod touch. This is what I did and regret it. Don't get me wrong, the touch is great, but no GPS, weak speaker, no camera, no built in mic.

I decided to sell my iPhone a couple weeks ago to maximize it's value so I could HOPEFULLY buy the new 3rd gen phone. I really really miss my iPhone. The iPhone makes all other phones feel like junk.

Just my thought, Andy

13. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the information. That is good to know myself, as I plan on turning my 3G into an iPod Touch when I get the new iPhone that comes out. I will have to remember to put my SIM card in to upgrade it later. Didn't know that.