Can I use my iPhone to control music playback on a Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by George Hudetz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. George Hudetz macrumors newbie

My scenario is that I have a MacBook Pro setup with some nice speakers. However, often when I listen to music I'm not seated in front of the Mac, nor do I want it in my lap. Instead, I'd like to select the music I want to hear using iTunes running on the iPhone, but have that music playback on the Mac & it's connected speakers. So, a little like Sonos, I suppose.

Is there a way to do that using iTunes, or perhaps another app?

Thanks!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Trough Spotify, yes - but otherwise, not as far as I know.

But you can access your iTunes Library through Spotify and it has remote control support between macOS and iOS - both directions.

3. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

You can Airplay from your iPhone to Mac using an app called AirServer on your Mac

https://www.airserver.com/Mac

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I can use the "iTunes Remote" app on my iPhone to play what's in my library.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Damn, I had entirely forgotten about that - of course. I've even used it in the past! Doh!
    I just relied so much on Spotify's thing when the audio port in my iMac broke and I had my iPad connected to my speakers, cause the iTunes thing doesn't work to iOS from Mac, only vice versa.

6. George Hudetz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks folks. I'll look into AirServer and iTunes remote. Cheers!