Can I use my MacBook's extension cord for the iPad brick?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by thechungster, May 16, 2010.

1. thechungster macrumors regular

Quick question regarding power. I have a MacBook extension cord in which I don't use, so can I use it to connect it to the iPad brick and power my iPad without any problems?

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Yes.

3. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I understand the Mac brick and the iPad brick look the same but the power is different. Is there a marking that tells you which one is which?
    I bought a used iPad that came with the longer extension cable and a brick and the seller said it came with his iPad but I'm wondering if I actually got the iPad accessory or the Mac one.
    I haven't tried to charge with it since my Mac mini charges the iPad fine but probably slower than the iPad power brick. if the brick is the Mac one it will take 2x as long as the iPad brick?

4. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Reading comprehension FTW.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

HUH!!!

6. xraytech macrumors 68020

Yes

And what happen to the cord that came with your iPad?

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

With all due respect, is english your second language?

It took me a couple of reads to understand you reply.

*here we go, going to get flamed for what i just said*

8. Skystar macrumors 6502

The extension cable is just an extension cable, it does not voltage conversion. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad and Mac version are the same exact product.

9. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

The iPad and Mac power adaptors do -not- look the same. The iPad power brick is similar in appearance to the power brick for iPhones sold in countries outside the US.

The iPad only includes its power brick, sans extension cord. These cords are universal- the connectors used to interface Apple's power bricks with the various adaptors are the same connectors used for nearly all computer brands. As such, it's -VERY- likely that the extension cord provided with the standalone iPad power brick unit is exactly the same as the extension cord provided with all MacBooks.

Hope this serves to resolve all remaining questions.

10. MacJones macrumors 6502

I've used my MacBook's extension cord for my iPad a few times with no problems.

11. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

As I mentioned before, you can interchange them. They are the SAME cord. They have the same part number stamped on it and everything.

I'm not sure how the power brick got into the discussion because the connectors are different. The iPad is USB, the MBP is the magnet connector, the Mac Mini has a brick with no removable cords, and I can't be bothered to check the Apple TV's power supply since it is wrapped up behind my AV cabinet.

Hope this helps.

12. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have one and it doesn't have an extension cord? Just the brick and the USB cable?

13. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I thought my post made sense. I mistakenly read somewhere else that the macbook and the ipad AC power adapters were similar shape/size except for wattage. I see they are not similar now.

Basically the seller included the ipad 6ft power ext cable and the 10watt AC adapter and no USB sync cable.
    sorry if some are confused.

14. FrancisD macrumors newbie

Something to be aware of:

There are a couple of different 10W power bricks.

One that is available as an accessory, and the one that comes with the iPad.

On the ones that I have (I have both), the connector is slightly different. The Macbook extension cord will work with one, but not the other.

Essentially there is an extra tab inside the connection slot that prevents it from sliding in.

If you want to be sure it will work with yours, check that the connectors are the same.

I assume the same thing will apply to the international plug kit.

15. digiphantom macrumors regular

Good to know that the extension cord is the same one that came with the MBP, since just the USB cable is too short to reach the surge protector on the floor.

My macbook pro extension is not used, so I can just use it on the iPad brick.

16. Theapping macrumors newbie

oh yea

Yes they both have the same power output so the brick turns the power to the right voltage it is universal :rolleyes::rolleyes: