Can I use my MBP for my Xbox 360 display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangeillini14, Jul 17, 2008.

1. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

2. johngardiner macrumors regular

It's not possible through the MPB's DVI out port, you'd need some kind of USB tuner solution, though I suspect it won't look pretty, nor would you be able to achieve the native resolution of the MBP screen. But don't take my word as absolute do a google search see what you come up with. :)

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In short no - the DVI connector on the MBP is output only. Theoretically you could hook up a TV receiver card and use it that way but the quality wouldn't be great and it would probably be really laggy due to processing time of the signal

4. orangeillini14 thread starter macrumors regular

You all just crushed my heart. :(

:p

Just curious because I'm off to college and I'm sure my room mate and I (though we're best friends) will want to watch TV/play Xbox at the same time. Just thought this would be an easy solution but I guess it's not really possible. :(

Thanks for the quick responses. :D

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Get a Dell 2407WFP to use on your desk with your MBP. It has multiple inputs so you can also hook up your XBOX 360 to that.

6. orangeillini14 thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking for a $50 fix, not a $500 one. :p

7. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

How about EyeTV Hybrid? I'm looking at getting one for my single room, since it is hard to lug a TV cross country these days.

8. eyespii macrumors 6502

For $50, pick up a used 20" CRT tv. Hit up some graduating seniors looking to dump their sets - you'll have no problem finding one for $50. No it won't be in HD, but trust me in that the USB tuner solution is not worth it at all. I tried it with my old xbox, and here was so much lag that it was unplayable.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That might work for TV, but it won't work for anything interactive like an xbox 360 because of the lag. A USB tuner card might add 1/2 sec or more of lag, which it not that much in general, but it is enough to make games unplayable. I'm sure no-lag TV tuner cards exist, but not in the $50-150 price range.

10. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Maybe a cheap TV is the way to go then. I was hoping to play Wii via EyeTV, but it's probably not going to be very pleasant with a 1/2 to 1 second delay.

11. orangeillini14 thread starter macrumors regular

How about an older Gateway monitor? Would that have the appropriate hookups?

12. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It should work if you get a VGA out cable for your 360. I assume the 360 will let you set the output resolution to something the monitor can display, but I don't know for sure. A CRT monitor is more likely to work than an LCD one because older LCDs can't always scale the picture if it is not the right resolution.

edit: you will probably need an RCA to 3.5" stereo adapter to hook up your speakers/headphones.

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wouldnt use the eyetv for video games. the resolution is crap

15. Fenir macrumors regular

Get a sling player for your MBP and game on the TV

16. Sp3shl K macrumors newbie

I would look more into the eyetv hybrid. their website says that it is indeed compatible for next gen consoles due to a few millisecond turn around time. u can only use composite i think tho. im considering using it for my gamin needs. if i get one in the near future i'll give a report

17. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I say buy a cheap monitor. I'm getting this for my dorm room. (It's 300 less than what it says on the website.)

Pretty nice 1900x1200 resolution, matching the MBP

Gonna hook up my MBP to one HDMI port for computing, my Xbox 360 to the HDMI port for some 1080p gaming, and for TV (since it's technically a computer monitor with no RF in) I'm rigging up a VCR with Svideo output in order to tune in/ change channels as I'm sure they won't provide me with an HD Settop Box :[ which I hope works...

The reason why I'm investing so much into a dorm is because if all goes well I'll have this thing for a damn long time!!