Can I use my my existing WD mybook with Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cudo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

Hi,

Can I use my hard drive with Time Machine ? I got the drive in use already so my question is wether I can additionally use it as a backup disc without erasing its content? Do I just connect my drive and start Time Machine app and it will create Time Machine folder on its own ?

Cheers!

P.S. Preparing for SL installation...do not wanna lose me data :D

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As long as it is formatted for Mac, then yes.

3. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. It is Mac formatted. So what I do next is just simply plug-in me hard drive and allow Time Machine do do its job, right ?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct. TM should ask if you want to use the drive. If not, then go to TM in System Preferences and turn it on.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I used TM for the 1st time yesterday and I was also happy to see that it can share a partition/disk with other data. It just creates a new folder on your drive and doesn't touch your other stuff ;)

Tex

6. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

mission accomplished :D I managed to backup with TM and it all went smooth. Just a question, after I install SL on me machine, how do I use the back up to restore me data ? Simply fire up TM in SL ? Can i restore just some data e.g. mail accoutns, ical, and address book ?

Thanks

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I'm right now doing a totally manual restore i.e. simply copying the things I want from my TM folder back to SL.

I could not find address book contacts so I synced them back from my iPhone but you might want to export them while still in Leopard.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can also use Migration Assistant to copy over your data, if you don't want to use the drag and drop method.

9. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

Migration Assistant - that is what I need. Thanks for bril answer.

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I can't see where I can import Address Book contacts using the Migration Assistant.