Can I use my old router as an Access Point?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hellodon, Mar 2, 2008.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

I have never used an access point before...so I'm not totally sure how they work. What I'm wondering is if I can use my Time Capsule as my main router, then have my old Linksys router (BEFW11S4) as an access point.

THEN, if that can be done, Im wondering if I can have my Xbox 360 wirelessly grab the signal from the Linksys which is catching a signal from the Time Capsule.

The reason I want to do this and not just run the Time Capsule is because as some of you may have heard, Xbox 360 doesnt seem to work with "n" routers...but it does work with my Linksys (I think it's a b? g?). So I'm hoping that it can connect to that router then have that router connecting to the Time Capsule so it's getting around this problem.

I also get a pretty weak signal out in my living room where I use my laptops and my Xbox 360 so having that access point would also help with that.

Can anyone help me? This is my last resort before taking back the Time Capsule. I have it all boxed up and I dont know how to set up Access Points so before I try this myself i'm hoping to find out if it can be done and maybe get a little bit of assistance in setting it up.

Thanks in advance!

2. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502