• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I'm about to check out (and possibly buy) an iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi/Cellular) that is currently not equipped with cellular service.

Can I just take the T-Mobile SIM card from my current iPad Air and put it in this new iPad and then expect that it works? Or do I have to do anything about it with T-Mobile?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
The only exception is the free 200mb plan. If you have this plan , removing the SIM card and putting it in another ipad will not work. The free plan only allows 1 imei. Putting this SIM card back in the IMEI it belongs to restores service. This actually happened to me , all websites were blocked. All websites would go to t-mobile.com/connectme and I was unable to figure out what happened , and had to contact executive relations via the fcc

What do I do then?

On the new ipad you go to the connect me website (t-mobile.com/connectme) and forfeit your 200 megabytes. This cancels the phone number. This will not cancel your T-mobile Id and Password. Then you simply use the same SIM card again to sign up for a new 200 mb and a new number

What if I paid for service?

Once the data is paid and you have paid service, there is no imei limitation, and you can move the SIM card back and forth like Channan says.

Last edited:
Reactions: baypharm
Comment

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The only exception is the free 200mb plan. If you have this plan , removing the SIM card and putting it in another ipad will not work. The free plan only allows 1 imei. Putting this SIM card back in the IMEI it belongs to restores service. This actually happened to me , all websites were blocked. All websites would go to t-mobile.com/connectme and I was unable to figure out what happened , and had to contact executive relations via the fcc

What do I do then?

On the new ipad you go to the connect me website (t-mobile.com/connectme) and forfeit your 200 megabytes. This cancels the phone number. This will not cancel your T-mobile Id and Password. Then you simply use the same SIM card again to sign up for a new 200 mb and a new number

What if I paid for service?

Once the data is paid and you have paid service, there is no imei limitation, and you can move the SIM card back and forth like Channon says.
Channan. :|

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.