iPad Can I use my SIM card in another iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by desertman, Jun 24, 2016.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I'm about to check out (and possibly buy) an iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi/Cellular) that is currently not equipped with cellular service.

Can I just take the T-Mobile SIM card from my current iPad Air and put it in this new iPad and then expect that it works? Or do I have to do anything about it with T-Mobile?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

You should be able to swap the SIM and everything work just fine.

3. rigormortis, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

The only exception is the free 200mb plan. If you have this plan , removing the SIM card and putting it in another ipad will not work. The free plan only allows 1 imei. Putting this SIM card back in the IMEI it belongs to restores service. This actually happened to me , all websites were blocked. All websites would go to t-mobile.com/connectme and I was unable to figure out what happened , and had to contact executive relations via the fcc

What do I do then?

On the new ipad you go to the connect me website (t-mobile.com/connectme) and forfeit your 200 megabytes. This cancels the phone number. This will not cancel your T-mobile Id and Password. Then you simply use the same SIM card again to sign up for a new 200 mb and a new number

What if I paid for service?

Once the data is paid and you have paid service, there is no imei limitation, and you can move the SIM card back and forth like Channan says.

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Channan. :|

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

Autocorrect! Yeah thats it