Can I use my sisters upgrade and just switch the SIM cards?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alldat, Aug 12, 2010.

1. alldat macrumors regular

We're all on a family plan and her phone (which is broken but my dad still pays for the line :confused:) is eligible for an upgrade. If we upgrade her line to the iPhone 4, take the SIM out of my 3GS and swap them, would that work?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Should. As long as there are two iPhones and two iPhone data plans on the account, doesn't matter who gets what. Did this with my family plan too :D

3. Starrbuck macrumors regular

Except the 3GS uses a regular SIM card and the 4 uses a micro-SIM.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Go into an AT&T store and they can make it work. No problem doing upgrade swaps like this.

5. alldat thread starter macrumors regular

Oh crap I totally forgot about this. Is there any way to do this? Or if I do the upgrade will I have to take her number?

6. grimy macrumors member

I did this, I took my wifes upgrade because she had the iphone and I could do the early upgrade. I didn't have a Iphone so they wouldn't let me do the early upgrade. When I did use her upgrade though I was NOT grandfathered in with unlimited data(fyi).

7. nabechu macrumors 6502

you can either cut your current sim card or get a new one at at&t for $30

8. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Go to an at&t store and tell them you want to do an upgrade swap. They will provide you a new sim card free of charge there.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Look at the post above yours, you shouldn't have a problem going into AT&T and ask if you can swap her upgrade to your line.
    How on earth is that relevant?

11. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the SIM has worn out.

12. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

this

13. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i have 3 phones on a family plan and you can use the upgrade for any number, doesnt matter. I can confirm this.

14. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

4 phones on my fam plan. Phone A is a 3Gs, B - 3Gs, C - dumb, D - dumb. The dumb ones are upgrade eligible. Can I order an upgrade to the iP4 for one of the dumb lines, call (or visit) AT&T and provide them the number on the sim cards from the new iP4 and the sim on the dumb one and get them to switch the phone numbers back?

Sorry if that's confusing. I provide my dad with a cell. He using an older Nokia and doesn't need to / want to upgrade. I was going to order the iP4 on that line. When it comes to me I want to replace my 3Gs with it and he'll continue to use the Nokia. He doesn't have txt, data or anything on his so I'm thinking there could be a snag with the services but I wasn't sure.

When you purchase a "smart" phone, are you committing to a service (data and/or text) to be eligible for the promo price?

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

The iPhone 4 comes with one, so all they have to do is switch the Number, no need to buy one, and everytime I go into AT&T they just provide one for me, never have been charged?

:rolleyes:

16. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Maybe he wants to ask her out on a date.

17. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

^^^^^^^^^^^^

im almost positive that they ALL come with a micro sim....my phone was brand spanking new, in the box and wrapped when i opened it. It had the sim already inside of the phone straight out of the box.

If not, i highly doubt they going to charge you for one.