Can i use my WD20EARS Western Digital on a MACPRO?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bonkerspr, Oct 16, 2010.

1. bonkerspr macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a WD green HD(model: WD20EARS) of 2TB on my PC desktop computer. Now i buy a new MAC PRO 8 cores. Can i use my WD20EARS Western Digital HD on my new MAC PRO? Both Computers have SATA Interface.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Indeed you can use that, or any other SATA drive for that matter.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

4. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Yes, but you may have to initialise/format the drive when you put it in the Mac.

5. bonkerspr thread starter macrumors newbie

But why when i plugin the hd the computer dont boot up ? :mad: I remove the HD from my pc and i put it on my mac pro and when i turn on the mac the monitors stay in a white . Never boot ups.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is because you don't have the operating system on that drive. Try booting from the drive it came with, and put the other drive in another bay. Then you can use software like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original to your new one.

7. bonkerspr thread starter macrumors newbie

NICE! now i boot up with my original HD and i put the wester digital green as secondary and now i will erease it (format) but i have a question was is the difference between mac os extend and mac os extended journaled format?
    I ask this because i want to use my 2TB hd as primary and i want the OS installed on that one.

Witch format i supose to use?

8. bonkerspr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everybody!! Very help full. Likes this website and people here! Thanks a lot!

9. SamPotts macrumors regular

SamPotts

Not sure I would use one for the OS, they are quite slow drives. Great for media etc but I would use at least a 7200rpm drive for the OS.

10. goMac macrumors 603

These directions are out of date. Boot Camp includes free read/write HFS drivers. No need to install that stuff.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Boot Camp 3.x does, and not every NTFS formatted HDD will be used for Boot Camp and some people do have computers with Windows on it and some HDDs will be given to people, who don't have Macs.
    Thus the directions are not out of date, they are incomplete or missing what you alluded to.

Off to the tequila bar.

12. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Bootcamp drivers only allow you to read, not write.

I'd rather not give Windows the ability to write to my OS X disks...