Can I use New MacBook's OS on old MacBook Pro ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by monkeyoto, Jan 4, 2010.

1. monkeyoto macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a new MacBook for my dad for Xmas. It came preinstalled with Snow Leopard. I am currently using Leopard on my MacBookPro.

My question is, can i use the new MacBook's OS installation CD on my old MacBook Pro ? :confused:

Please advise.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Monkey.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    No, the disc is only usable on the computer it came with. You need a retail copy of SL.

3. monkeyoto thread starter macrumors newbie

is it because of piracy ? or it just simply wouldn't work ? I registered both old and new on my name for easy management. Is it still considered piracy if i utilize the installation cd on another mac ?

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Uh. One cd = one computer. You can't spring for $29?

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Both. It would be piracy and won't work.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

While, yes, it is piracy, it will not work. The restore discs are tied to the machine they shipped with.

7. monkeyoto thread starter macrumors newbie

i see.. thanks for the reply guys..

lionhearted : i didnt know it cost only 29 bucks. is it a price you pay to upgrade from Leopard ? Not aware that may be an option. I saw it on retail shops going for over 145 bucks, hence the question.

Cheers..

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If it could work, then it would be piracy. However, it won't work. If you want to update your OS, the you should use Software Update for the point release that shipped with your computer. To upgrade to subsequent point releases, you must use a retail version. The OS that ships with each model Mac is tied to that specific model. Your Mac can't run an older version of the OS and it can't run the OS that shipped with a different model Mac.

9. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

If you are upgrading from Leopard then it's only $29. If you are upgrading from any other previous Mac OS then it's the full price.

10. nigels0 macrumors member

They are tied to the *type* of machine they shipped with.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, i forgot that part ... thanks.

12. sstickygreen macrumors member

Since your old machine has firewire you could always put it in target disk mode and install the new OS on that machine, it will just show up as a hard drive in the installer.