Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolnet

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Hi.

I bought an o2 Mobile Broadband USB Modem for use with my Powerbook for internet connection when I was in the UK. At home I have a G4 which is wired to my modem but would like to have wifi.

Rather than buy an airport or similar card, I thought I might be able to use the o2 dongle as my receiver.

Just as an aside, my modem/router bricked about six months ago so I'm only using ethernet connection at the moment, although I do have a 3com wireless transmitter....

So, my questions are: a) will the hardware work? b) what, if any, drivers to I need to install, c) any chance of the links? d) can I set it up without a wireless internet connection and e) what is the best modem/router to buy for dual Mac/PC usage (I had a Netgear that was great so should I stick to that make?).

Thanks, in advance.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I dont imagine that it would work as a receiver for a WiFi signal as the 02 dongle is only meant to work with a 3G network. There maybe a hack for it.....

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I *believe* wi-fi modules aren't included in these products as most laptops these days come with wi-fi built in and as such a wi-fi module on the USB stick would simply be a unnecessary waste of power.

That's not confirmed though, and I maybe wrong.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Hi.

I bought an o2 Mobile Broadband USB Modem for use with my Powerbook for internet connection when I was in the UK. At home I have a G4 which is wired to my modem but would like to have wifi.

Rather than buy an airport or similar card, I thought I might be able to use the o2 dongle as my receiver.

You might, some of them also contain a wifi transmitter/receiver. It depends which exact model you have. Google and see. Have you tried to see if there is anything under 'about this mac' > more info which gives a clue?

woolnet

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2009
You might, some of them also contain a wifi transmitter/receiver. It depends which exact model you have.

It's a Huawei Mobile Connect HSDPA USB Stick - Model E160

The information with the stick does say it can be used to pick up wifi but only really gives information for a pc

Thanks...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.